Sunday, July 22, 2007

Online Voting

Ethics for the Information Age Chapter 6

I was fascinated by the section about online voting. I had known some of the benefits and risks but this section did a very thorough job of laying them out. Some of the benefits include giving more people a chance to vote, improving efficiency of vote counting, and lowering costs. Some of the risks include potential privacy risks, the increased chance of buying votes, and the risk of vote tampering. I have always been concerned that if we begin online voting, the vote could be tampered with by hackers. Of course, in the long history of elections, there have been many cases of election fraud. However, I would think many hackers would take it as a challenge to change the results of the election even if by only one vote. I could also imagine an election where the side with the best hackers would win. The side who could change as many votes as possible and leaving the system without a trace would win.

1 comment:

hlangfoss said...

Bryan...I thought this was a fascinating part of this chapter as well. I found myslef having the same concerns as you. I just don't see how online voting (at this point, at least) could be considered safe and reliable. With all we've learned in this class about hackers and what they can do, I find the possibility of online voting pretty unsettling.