Saturday, July 7, 2007

Larry Magid: Keeping Kids Safe On-line

I agree with many of Larry Magid’s opinions about online safety. I agree that the internet is too valuable to keep from kids and that kids need to learn appropriate ways of using the internet. From my own experience, I know it is easy for kids to get by the internet filters at school. I observed some kids getting into games directly blocked by the filter (the games were not inappropriate just non-educational). They did this by googling the game and getting on through another site that wasn’t blocked. I found his websites very helpful and I will use those sites as well as others to guide students toward safe and respectful internet use.

1 comment:

loriblogs said...

I agree, I do think the internet is just a vast amount of information waiting to be looked at and read. To keep children from that is wrong. I do think it's important for them to have guidelines and rules to follow when they do get on it. I didn't personally read this article but from the bits and pieces I picked up from reading different peoples blog sites, I think I need to! He sound like he knows his stuff and really cares about kids.